Losing weight after 40 isn’t impossible. In fact, you can lose weight at any age if you have the right information and drive to see results. We’ve all seen it before – “I’m too old to lose weight.” But there are millions of people that look just as good at 45 as they did at 25.
If you’re trying to figure out the magic recipe to lose weight after 40, you’ll find it’s a lot easier than you think. In a hurry? Click here to check out Old School New Body to get on track. Otherwise read on for more tips to get you started.
Redefine Your Lifestyle
Do you know why diets fail? As a dieter, you’re only masking the problem. You may be a strict eater for 8 months and lose a ton of weight, but once you hit your goal, you start cheating. After a few weeks, you’re eating the same bad-for-you foods that you did prior to reaching your goal.
What does this do? This leads a person down a perpetual path of weight loss. You need a major lifestyle change to see results.
Whether you’re changing your diet, adding exercise to your life or both, you need to have the mindset that you’re in it for the long haul. If you’re willing to change your lifestyle for 6 months or a year, you’ll boost your health, trim your waist line and build muscle.
The Agonizing Diet
Every person that’s trying to lose weight over 40 needs to know that dieting is a must. You need to maintain a rather strict diet that will reawaken your metabolism and allow you to burn fat in a safe and healthy manner. What does this diet consist of?
- More meals. That’s right! You’ll be eating six, small meals a day.
- Protein with every meal. Not only does protein help with muscle growth, it’s harder to digest than carbs and will kick-start your metabolism.
- Eat a balanced diet. You won’t be forced to eat just protein. Instead, you’ll need to eat a balanced diet with carbs, protein and healthy fats included.
A little secret that many people don’t realize is that you can take a cheat day every week. This is not a day where you’ll eat an entire pizza, but having waffles for breakfast instead of oatmeal is acceptable. If you deprive yourself of the foods you crave completely, you’re far more likely to fall off the bandwagon.
You will need to eliminate bad foods from your diet, and of course, soft drinks.
The ideal ratio of carbs, protein and fats is: 35%, 35% and 30% respectively. You will, however, want to lower your food portions (while maintaining the ratios above) if you don’t start seeing results within a week or two.
A great guide that explains the necessary diet changes for over 40 weight loss is Old School New Body.
Click Here To Get Old School New Body And Get Into The Best Shape Of Your Life With The F4X Protocol And Nutrition Plan
Bring on the Exercise
Losing weight at 40 must take immense dedication. You’ll need to spend hours at the gym every day to see results, right? Thankfully, this couldn’t be more wrong. As the body recovers, outside of the gym, your muscles repair and grow. The gym is meant to help you strengthen your muscles and burn off excess calories. Does this mean you don’t need to work hard? Absolutely not, but you don’t need to spend your life in the gym either.
Ideally, you’ll spend just 30 minutes in the gym to lose weight. Everyone can spare thirty minutes of their day to be healthier and lose weight. So, what workouts are ideal for losing weight over 40?
- Using dumbbells, squats work a variety of muscles from your core to your butt and quadriceps.
- Bench presses: Using dumbbells, flat bars or pushups, bench presses allow you to work your chest, triceps and shoulders while working all of your smaller stabilization muscles.
- Bent-over rows. Great for stability, back strength and arm strength.
- Upright rows. Another great exercise that puts strain on numerous muscle groups at one time.
The goal is to push yourself. You want to work your way up from 3 sets of 10 to 4 sets of 10. Rest in between each set will be decreased to ensure that your muscles get an intense workout that also pushes your cardiovascular limits.
Adding more weight or lifting to failure will further boost your results.
What Do You do Once You Have Solid Workout Routing?
Once you have a solid exercise routine in place and can follow the above recommendations, it’s time to increase your workouts. If you want to build muscle, you’ll need to target your muscle groups further by adding in a variety of exercises. Weight loss over 40 will require muscle growth. This will keep your skin tight and ensure that it doesn’t sag as a result of losing weight.
You’ll never learn how to lose weight after 40 if you don’t continually push yourself. A few tips are:
- Log your workouts to try and always improve.
- Change your weight maximums to push your muscles further.
- Take shorter rests as you continue to lose weight.
- Play soccer or take a walk around town instead of watching television for 3 hours.
Small changes will result in exceptional results. If you follow the above tips strictly, you will see 1 – 2 pounds of weight loss every week.
Related Article: Best diet for women over 40. This works the same for men.